Today is my daughter Emmalina Hood's seventeenth birthday. Seventeen? My little Form 1 Merah-marcher sweetheart has turned seventeen? My mind will not believe it. But happy birthday anyway, darling, and have a fantastic year of being this awesome age (hm, well, it will be awesome if you're awesome! So be awesome!). Appreciate all the attentions that your family, friends and fans (for you do have fans) lavish upon you; study hard & play harder (loljk not rly); remember to sleep, eat, meditate, have fun, value yourself properly and to always take time to smell the roses -of secondary school, because your days are numbered baby! (Mwahaha. Ha. Ha.) - Your doting-from-afar long-distance mother.
Statistics homework remains 30% uncompleted; just finished Jane Eyre for the second time, and somehow, I feel its' impact more deeply than when I read it when I was younger (at age fourteen, fifteen?). Economics essays lie forgotten somewhere inside the schoolbag, I'll get around to that soon. For now though, indulging myself in some TED videos and Konoha Telegrams. Which reminds me, must have a fan-girl post for the recent turn of events in the Naruto manga. Not that I don't appreciate the fact that the beauty (cough, I'm feeling sentimental) of Naruto is lost upon a majority of whatever readers I have, but, well, I never started writing for the sake of pleasing others anyway.
Some other non-Literature-related books I have read recently- The Last Four Things (Paul Hoffman), Shades of Grey (Jasper Fforde), In Other Rooms, Other Wonders (Daniyal Mueenuddin). Three very different books covering three very different genres. The first book was a sequel to my much-loved The Left Hand Of God, and was equally grotesque and bloody and cruel as its' predecessor, with less 'softness' around the edges (Cale was much more hardened and world-weary). The second was an abstract piece, one of those modernistic stories that attempt parallelism with a subtle (or not) social/political commentary; very bizarre at the beginning, but you start to sink into the book's alternate universe soon enough. The third is historical fiction, which is an okay-ish genre for me (I did love Empress Orchid, The Book Thief and the like?) but yeah, apart from a few warm fuzzy moments it was just another Eastern book.
In short, nothing that burnt such a deep impression into my heart as Jane Eyre. The love of which I currently harbour for this book, however, I shall describe in another post, as it's soon to be 10.30, and that 30% must be finished by tonight so that this weekend I can safely absorb the recent Economics topics without interruption. (Protectionism is such a tricky thing, so many points to be argued about! And how about 'em farmers in the European Union? Causes for gaps between expenditure weights in Jamaica and in the UK? And above all, the two most important words- CETERIS PARIBUS. So much fun, but so many accompanying migraine-inducing thought processes. -_-')
And thus I retreat. :) Have a great weekend everybody!
p/s I have recently come into ownership of an iPad 2. Thank you, dear father of mine.
p/p/s Yan & Shiva - I have come to fully realize the gravity of this whole "different time zone" situation. Not being able to see you guys everyday sucks balls. It really does. Dear Chinese, August cannot come soon enough, and as for my Ceylonese counterpart, when is your sem break again? :( T_T;
No comments:
Post a Comment