Thursday, September 22, 2011

Of exams, weddings, expeditions.

Looks good, and loads faster. Kudos to Blogger for coming up with this design. It pleases my eyes. :) Anyway, hello readers (what little I have left)! New reasons why I haven't been blogging:

1. AS-Level exams, specifically, TRIALS. Where you hear all the nightmares from the seniors who say they came out from their papers crying... Why? Because our teachers are sadistic, I mean, driven. LOL. How did it go for me? Well, Statistics & Mechanics were alright. Not spectacular, totally long way to go, but alright. Pure 1 was nice, but I haven't gotten my marks back yet. P3... Raped me three ways 'til Sunday, I swear. I went home after the paper, cried some, and watched like 2 hours of anime just to de-traumatize myself. The seniors weren't kidding about that one. Then, the Economics papers. I got 19/20 for my Data Response and 17/20 for my Essay, which I'm quite pleased with :) even if it's lower by the highest mark by ONE score. [Kiasu student in me is disappointed.] As for my MCQ, according to Mr Jamal I made less than five mistakes. I'm pretty sure this warrants an A, so I'm happy! :D I haven't gotten any of my English Literature papers back. The questions for Jane Eyre and Streetcar Named Desire were pretty cool- simple, but not too simple until it becomes non-challenging. Y'know? As for poetry, well, I thought I was screwed for the first five minutes (it was a Worst-Case Scenario paper, because Miss Isabel is a meanie! LOLno she's nice, but yeah) but I think I pulled through okay :), and Ernest was just.. rusty. Yeah. My Ernest is rusty. :(

2. My brother's wedding! On the 9th of September, 2011, I officially became the last unmarried kid in my family. The last one standing. The solemnization of the wedding was held at a mosque, I'm sorry but the name of it totally escapes me right now. It was a very simple affair, and my new sister-in-law looked so beautiful. :') How do my brothers manage to score such awesome wives? *mystified*









Isn't she pretty? :) This happened on Friday night. On a short weekend. So did I leave on Friday afternoon and come back to KY at night, and then leave for KL again after class on Saturday? HELL NO. So yeah. I skipped a day of class. Well, a half-day. Saturdays are always half-days. But whatever. My brother got fucken married man! And I didn't get into trouble for it anyway, since it was the last day of class before exams started. On Saturday night, was Kak Fasyah's family reception for the marriage. It was held at Dewan Merak Kayangan, and the pelamin was so pretty! More photos, because my eloquence has diminished along with my sleeping hours and ability to eat regularly.




I arrived back in KY on Sunday night, ready to tackle my first paper of the week. Which was Economics Paper 2. Hohoho. :} The first week of exams passed pretty quickly, and then, Malaysia Day arrived! Which meant no class on Friday! Which meant three and a half days in Kuala Lumpur! *pure bliss* So yeah, I went home right after class on Thursday afternoon. It was pretty awesome.

Baby-sat the children because I fail as a Malay woman (can't ikat sampin, can't hiris bunga rampai, haih) and "attempting" to study on Thursday night, then on Friday night I went out with my beloved boyfriend of almost five years. Believe it, we've been together for five years and that was only our 2nd official "date". And it's the first where he picked me up from my house, though that did cause a lot of heckling courtesy of my brothers. "Lesen betul ke tu?" "Kereta boleh start ke?" SHADDAP LAH JUST 'CUZ I'M NOT MARRIED YET. Pfft.

Then, Saturday morning arrived. We had our usual wedding rehearsal at 2 p.m., which was nice. Practiced the procession, and the basic flow of the event. This was my first time as a bunga telur girl by the way! :D Together with Nana, whom without I would have walked ALONE during the parade into the hall. (All my siblings are paired up, remember?) #flyingsoloforever# Rehearsal lasted for three hours or so, then everyone had to rush back to get ready, and I had to rush to print my *gasp* WEDDING SPEECH! My very last one for my family :'), well unless they make me give a speech at my own wedding. I was strangely calm in the car, on the outside anyway, but anyone following me on Twitter could see me freaking out in 140 characters or less. :p Haha.

There was the usual pre-wedding meal for the immediate family, since we'd be expected to "socialize" during the event itself, and attend to the guests and so on. Then, the welcoming process began, which basically encompasses shaking hands with and saying "Welcome" for about 700 people. My cheeks hurt so much! But it was nice to see all my parents' old friends again. The schedule was thrown a bit off when Tengku Naqiuddin, our VIP for the wedding, came EARLIER than expected. (It has never happened before. Even when Tun Mahathir came, he came right on time. Not EARLIER. LOL.) So mama and ayah had to take them up to the VIP holding room and stuff, to take photos with the bride and bridegroom, hereby leaving us poor children behind to greet the guests.

I swear to God, quite a few of them looked at me with blank confusion, like, "Who are you?" LOL. One of them actually told me she thought my mother only had four children. *cries in the corner* Ah well. Then of course there were the usual masses of people who called me "Doctor" and asked my sister what she's been doing after SPM. HAHAHAHAHA. In fact, to make matters worse, we accidentally wore the same tudung for that night's function, so even a few of our family members got mixed up too. Haih. She's like 11 years older than me guys! :(

So then, it was time for the procession! Lined up, took a deep breath, and walked "down the aisle" (agak-agak lah haha). I got the chills thinking that the next time I'll be doing this, I'll be at the beginning of the line! (As in, I'll be the bride. LOL.) So creepy to think of it that way. Study dulu beb! :) Instead of kompang, this year we had a procession of serunais (flutes? In English?) and these.. drum things. I don't know. They sounded pretty cool. We were led by the zapin dancers who carried the tepak sirih and all that. As we walked, the pelamin was unveiled slowly as the curtains were drawn, and it was so nice to hear all the guests Ooh-ing and Aah-ing. Wait for it, the pictures are coming! :D

Right after we were seated on the stage, the opening dance began. Very cool! Zapin fusion-ish, kinda. So I was the bunga telur girl during the merenjis session, then it was time to eat, but I couldn't, because I had to go around salam-ing people and of course my nerves were something FIERCE at this point. Luckily, the performer for the night was Atilia, who has lovely vocals, and, yeah. The rest of the live entertainment was provided by the Orkes Perdana, which is the mini orchestra from RTM I think? They were pretty good too. :)

So, time flew by and before I knew it Abang Emir (the stage manager of sorts) was calling me to stand by with my sister, and then suddenly I found myself on stage. Here's the part where I totally deny that I cried on stage. But, as there are about 750 people who can testify against that, I'm just gonna 'fess up and say that I teared a little bit. I sobbed like a baby when I was actually writing the speech though. Quite embarrassing. At least I wasn't in public then. What made me cry up on the stage, however, wasn't even the speech itself, but the fact that I could see my brother wiping his eyes on the big screen while I was speaking. Haish. *emotional family moments*

Speech ended, my dad proceeded to give his speech (which, as always, was the most awesome one- I wish I had my dad's comedic skills! LOL ayah if you're reading this, you're only funny SOMETIMES ok please okay thanks), and then it was time to cut the cake! Here, we veered off from the traditional Malay reception. Firstly, the cake was NOT your standard three-tier fake cake for photographic purposes only. It was a real cake, courtesy of our family friend Auntie Abrina, who made it absolutely beautiful! One huge rectangular cake, absolutely covered with white roses and daisies. Moist chocolate on the inside. Yum.

Then, we deviated even MORE from the stereotypical program by announcing that the bride and groom will NOT be seeing the guests at the door. Reasons for this is because, a) whenever we do this, there's always just a huge queue of people, as the outgoing flow is quite slow, and b) the bride and groom have to stand for ages, and everything just gets delayed like photoshoots with the family and such. So, what my dad came up with is that we announced that there would be a teh tarik session (plus the best kuih lopes in the world!!), and anyone who wanted to go up to the pelamin to take photos with the pengantin are welcome to do so. Kalau nak balik terus pun tak pa. So the wedding finished at approximately 10.05p.m. which is the earliest by 40 minutes that we've ever finished a function! Accomplishment okay!

So the wedding is over. Congratulations, you have survived my narrative! LOL. As of right now, only the teaser albums have been uploaded by Image[spy], which was the photography & videography company we worked with for all our functions. Their editing is BEAUTIFUL, as you can see, and the thing we loved most of it is because instead of sending a small team of photographers that have to rush everywhere to catch every single moment, they had a huge team of people who each focused on a different aspect of the wedding. So there was no crowding, no pushing for photo ops, or anything like that. Very well-organized and efficient! :)



Though I wish they'd upload the photos faster! Ah well. Perfection takes time I suppose. :'(

On Sunday, we had a massive six-hour event- the family day! This is when all our Negeri Sembilan folks come up, and Ulu Langat, and basically all over the country! I mean, even Ah Song our plumber came, and the electrician! This was the day where everyone brought their kids and grandkids and grandkids' friends or whatever, and it was totally okay because there was enough food for everyone.

The guests were entertained throughout the hours by at least seven or eight dances (zapin, endang, I don't know what the rest are called LOL sorry) and alternating performances between Kumpulan Bali-Bali (so adorable!) and the same orchestra as the night before. Additionally, I forgot to mention that the night before's MC was Nurul Anis, aka Kiki. I like her. She did my dad's event once (for Jelajah Malaysia) and she's really funny without being tacky, y'know? But the MC for Sunday was a dude, who was alright, he made it feel like a nice homey kampung wedding so I liked it. :)

So I woke up at 8.30, got ready and arrived at the hall by 11 o'clock. Watched the caterers set up the "stalls" (we wanted to make it completely kampung style, hehe) around the hall, and basically found ways to entertain myself until the first guests walked in at about 11.45. From then on, it was a non-stop flow of people, in and out, it was CRAZY 'cuz I was wearing heels but then I was also keeping an eye on my five-year-old nephew Adam, and there were little children running around everywhere and GAHHH. But yeah. You know. Other than that, I loved it. I also loved the fact that almost all of the lauk served with the rice were Negeri Sembilan punya dishes. *roots are showing, lol* Photos from the last event!



So after the event wrapped up, and we had one last impromptu photoshoot for fun, we went back home to do the best part of weddings! Opening the wedding presents! :p Haha. Though actually, I was tucked away in a corner studying Literature. How fun. -_-' It was quite amusing to hear snatches of their conversation when they were counting the gift money though. Weird siblings I have. :p

Finally, I resignedly got into the car at 9.30 p.m. to leave for KY. :( And it ended. What we've been planning for close to six months. It ended. Haih. *wedding withdrawal moment*

3. This isn't really a reason why I haven't been blogging, but it is relevant to my life right now. DOE TRIAL EXPEDITION IS THIS WEEKEND. Which means 48 hours in the jungle, with tents and sleeping mats and bunsen-burner-cooker things. Oh my. I'm actually quite excited, but a little apprehensive at the same time. I mean, what if we get lost? D: Grr. Training has been on for three months already, so I suppose I should be ready, in terms of navigational skills and first aid and all that. But still. I be scurrreddd.

4. IELTS Exam this Saturday! Yay, because a) this means I have a free block 3 after that! and b) .... FREE BLOCKKKKKKK

5. Okay yeah. That's it. I.. should be going now. To do something productive. Bye guys, see you.. whenever. *non-committal shrug*


SPM candidates, are you readayh?!?!?!?!! attempt to scare Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment