Monday, March 14, 2011

Dear Japan

After many attempts at trying to sit down and directly address the issue of Japan (and failing to do so), I have finally decided upon this letter of sorts to indicate my complete and absolute support of this great nation in its' time of need.

Dear Japan,

I'm sorry it took this long for me to talk to you. The fact of the matter is, I'm afraid of what might happen. Or of what's been happening. I have this bad habit of skirting around reality. But. Hm. Remember when that darn China overtook you and replaced you as the 2nd largest economy in the world? Or when you changed leaders four times in as many years? Or when you went up against the entire universe about that whaling issue? I've always been on your side, through it all. It's kind of silly, right, like a case of hero worship gone bad.

Anyway. I heard about what happened last Friday. I'd just finished an exhausting day, and my mother called me up- "There was an earthquake in Japan." I almost kind of laughed. "Mama, there's always an earthquake in Japan." But this was different, she said. She said it was an 8.9, and that there had been a tsunami, and the death toll was steadily climbing--- and after that I wasn't really listening anymore. I was kind of, frozen.

But anyway- you probably know all of that by now. The 8.9, the tsunami, the "greatest disaster to hit Japan since World War II"- and then the nuclear plant explosion, well damn, the shit hits the fan now doesn't it? I can't imagine, what it's like, to be you right now.

I could weave tales of woe and sympathy, lengthy epitaphs to all the grief, devastation and despair that this disaster has brought about. But fear not- I'll spare you the sentimentalities, and I'll just tell you what I really, honestly, truly feel: Japan, I have faith in you.

When I watch those videos of you in your current state, you might think I'd cry, or whine, or lament. But I don't. You know why?

Because beyond all the people that have been lost, there are so many that are being saved, with a speed, calmness and collectedness that seems to be ingrained into every Japanese person.

Beyond your economy which could very well be lying on its' deathbed, there is a private sector collaborating with the government, performing CPR with that utter selflessness and humility that is so uniquely Japanese.

Beyond the grief and the grim atmosphere of death, there is an incredible resilience and absolute gratitude to be alive that inspires me, renders me nothing short of awe-struck. I watch you, collectively as a nation, pull together in this amazing, beautiful way that just reminds me of the heights that mankind can achieve when we fully utilize our humanity. You replace the typical wails and cries of a wounded nation with a steady determination to go on, with a warcry against self-pity and a burning sense of survival, that it will take a hell lot more than this to bring us down.

And because of that, dear Japan...

I do pray for you. But at the same time, I offer you a salute of the highest standing. Stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment