Friday, March 25, 2011

Model United Nations, Day I.

8.30 a.m.
Woke up. Lazed around, rehearsed my speech a couple of times and crammed as much information about United Kingdom & racial profiling as I could.

12.00 p.m.
Left for HELP College. Found Noel, Carolyn & Viv. Took a walk around "campus" (which is just one long corridor, wtf HELP) with Alya Omar. Read up on more stuff, generally chilled out.

1.00 p.m.
More chilling out in the theater, with some mixing around with the other delegates. Found some old friends (Victoria Ngow) and made some new ones. Lots of KTJ peeps, as well as international school students. Was fascinated by the British and American accents resounding around me.

2.00 p.m.
Opening ceremony. Mr Tony Phua, a.k.a. MP for Petaling Jaya, gave a brilliant speech on the many reasons why we should come back after studying overseas to give back to our country. It would have been pretty inspiring, had I not been the audience to this speech over a hundred times courtesy of my dear father.

3.15 p.m.
Roll call. As delegate of United Kingdom, I was one of the last names to be called out. So I bonded with the delegates of Ukraine (from Taylor's) & USA (who turned out to be the little brother of my friend Yasmin Disney, and I didn't even realize this until like an hour later WTF).

3.25 p.m.
Opening speeches. Again, due to the misfortune of starting with the letter 'U', I had about an hour to wait before it was finally my turn to deliver my speech. The thing about MUN is, everyone pays attention. There's no clapping, no shouting, no cat-calling- it's all very formal, quiet, and dignified. But also kind of boring. Luckily, aforementioned delegates from Ukraine & USA were good company- and all other delegates' speeches were excellently presented.

4.30 p.m.
Lobbying. Since this is my first conference and I had no inkling of an idea on how to write a resolution, I just floated around from group to group until I found a resolution to my liking. Almost joined Saudi Arabia's, but apparently he was only interested in the Arab nations..? So yeah, I contributed the support of United Kingdom to India's resolution, in regards to racial profiling. Developed it to about seven or eight clauses, though I only helped out with one or two.

6.30 p.m.
Submitting of resolutions. Socialized with the other delegates, and found out that we are all connected one way or another. Compared SPM results. Typically, everyone got straight A's. /doesn't feel special anymore/

7.30 p.m.
Mama arrived. Left.

No comments:

Post a Comment