You know your life is a rollercoaster when you can't be bothered to sit down and actually type out every single thing that's happened. Between Acoustic Night preparations, teaching Japanese to some of the smartest people in my college (that feeling of advantage can be addictive, be careful), surprise birthday parties of batchmates, surprise birthday parties of teachers, spontaneous jamming sessions at the studio, omelettes with mustaches, ego-boosting evaluation reports (for Economics and English Literature), the bitter taste of disappointed expectations (Further Mathematics), the joy of a successful event (much thanks and love and coffee to my brill Co-director, Kashif, who put up with my whininess and random ideas, we make a good team once again!), the much-needed talk with the tutor (who supplied advice, witticisms, and chocolate muffins), hours and hours of Mechanics (I was never meant to be an engineer), learning the Poisson distribution for Statistics II (confused looks amongst the class as my British teddy bear of a teacher drones on about how the n is larger than p, and the product of both must be finite), the burning satisfaction of understanding a Pure Mathematics theorem (Integration of Trigonometry is more fun than it sounds), more lovely poems in Literature that light a match within my soul (I want to write a vilanelle! Oscar Wilde is my patron saint of fabulousity!), rearranging my room (mopped, vacuumed, cleaned, shifted the furniture, threw stuff out, wiped the windows, the whole works), reading books and more books and Jane Eyre (shed a tear, too inspired), late nights at the Resource Center, unhealthy coffee habits from the cafe after countless study sessions, sore limbs from badminton and jogging around the campus-
I've been a little pre-occupied.
Now though, a four day weekend.
p/s I'm in consideration for personal Oxford training from the teachers; the only thing holding me back is my god-damn Further Mathematics. I feel so sad about this, it's inexplicable, as I'm not actually thinking of applying to Oxford, except maybe I am, because Oxford's PPE (Politics, Philosophy & Economics) programme seems a lot more suited to my reading/analyzing/language inclinations than LSE's pure Economics degree which is considered one of the most quantitative/mathematical courses available in the UK. Of course, the easiest solution would be to apply for both and see which one I score, and in the most unlikely scenario that I score both, I'll make the decision then. But, you know. I've been so distraught over this that I've completely forgotten about my safety-net university. :/
p/p/s I know the Personal Statement process began somewhere in March, and I have been structuring the basic draft and collecting little points here and there that I wanted to make a note of, but as a whole I have not yet found "the" gimmick which will make my PS stand out from the other 3000 candidates who will be undoubtedly applying for whatever top university I aim for. All the seniors and teachers say, "Look inside yourself", but what if I don't like what I find there? Never thought the process of applying for tertiary education could be such a soul-searching experience.
p/p/p/s Fazlan is a college boy! Now, during our phone conversations, I'm not the only one complaining about how tired I am. Congratulations boy. I love you. You can do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment