Saturday, October 15, 2011

Keeping afloat.

Advanced Subsidiary Level Examinations, November 2011.
28th October: Mathematics (Pure III)
31st October: Mathematics (Statistics I) & Economics (II)
4th November: Mathematics (Mechanics I)
9th November: Literature (Poetry & Prose)
10th November: Economics (I)
16th November: Literature (Drama)
17th November: Mathematics (Pure I)

Make it or break it! Haha. Past two weeks have been okay, filled up with finishing my university applications, finalizing my Personal Statement and other such nerve-wrecking activities. My final university choices are as follows:
- London School of Economics & Political Science (lol like you guys haven't heard this one for a year and a half)
- Warwick University
- University College of London
- Bath University
- Queen Mary University
and yes, I'm doing pure Economics (no joint degrees for me, after careful consideration) for all five universities.

My roommate Meredith submitted her application about a month ago (due to Cambridge's absurdly early deadlines), and she just got an offer for Law at Exeter! So did one of my Naruto/intellectual debate/insult buddies, Shankar. Then, my Further Maths classmate Elie got her offer for Computer Science to Manchester. I am SO jealous of the Oxbridge people now, simply because they'll get their offers at this time. :(

We've officially moved into the Further Mathematics realm for Pure & Statistics. Further Pure is about a couple of notches above P3, but the concepts aren't that hard to grasp- it's just the twists and turns that they can add on to the questions which make it quite difficult.

Further Stats, however, is a whole new ballgame. Hypothesis testing, further binomial theory... All these words and Greek symbols taking up the equations instead of good ol' numbers. Luckily, Mr Colin Dant (our Further Applied Maths teacher) takes our endless questions like a pro. He's a certified genius, right, so he can afford to explain the theorems to us step by step, instead of just feeding us the formula and teaching us how to tackle exam questions. Most of the expat teachers are like this, and I find it to be one of the (many) invaluable things in KY. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have all the top students of the country as your classmates and neighbours.

The Economics A2 syllabus so far is a lot more engaging than AS. Probably because it's more applicable instead of being purely hypothetical? Not sure. We haven't started any A2 stuff for Literature, but I do know that we'll be doing 1984 by George Orwell (which I read in six hours, mwahaha) and Much Ado About Nothing, one of Shakespeare's more famous comedies. Super excited, I cannot even :D

Um, apart from academics... Haha not much has been happening, I guess? During the holidays, I basically lazed around and did past-year papers and met up with old friends. Standard way of spending free time, lol.

Oh oh oh. Burger Ninja has new competition! Apart from Abang Nasi. Now we have a Laksa Dude too! Hahaha. He delivers laksa and bakso to anywhere in the college, each for RM3. Quite good laksa too. Haven't tried the bakso. There's also a convenience store in the cafe now, which we are close to naming Narnia. Why? Because it sells everything! Like PRINGLES! AND CHOCOLATES! AND NEWSPAPERS~!. *trolololol deprived jungle kids*

Meh. I have also developed a terribly inconvenient obsession with all things mutant-related. Factors leading up to this include Melor's CONSTANT "OMG ALIA DID YOU KNOW THAT [insert cool genetics fact here]" sigh the things I do for my med school buddies, okay and then I just watched X Men: First Class recently, yes I know I'm about four months too late but WHATEVER, it is an amazing movie and no the slashy subtext has nothing to do with it! Hahaha God I'm entering my fan-girl mode.

Guess I better cut the post short before I strip this post of all its' dignity. Is there anything else to say?

The list of things I have to do after my examinations is horrendously long. I'm signing up for a three-week Mandarin class during my end-of-year hols, AND I fully intend on borrowing all of Johan's X Men comic books and consuming them until it is as big a part of me as Naruto is, AND Marr is horrified I have never played a single video/computer game in my life, so she swears she's going to make me an addict during my exams. Great. :p I have such great friends.

[ Irrelevant note: I intended to have a long post dedicated to my KY family- not just my batch, but all the juniors that I've managed to befriend and the seniors that have helped me so freaking much throughout this whole year. But I decided to wait out for another month and write out the post at the end of term. :) ]

Wellllllllll. I guess that's all that has been happening. Kak Aida, if you're reading this, HI I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN LIKE A MONTH WHAT KIND OF SISTER ARE YOU NO LOLJK I heard you were in Lumut for a diving course. Hope you had fun.

Love love love. Between rage and serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment