Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I call, bullshit.

1
You have no money to provide computers for schools, but you have money to build a tower that nobody actually needs.
You have no money to increase the salaries of your over-worked, under-paid officers, but you have money to build a RM2-billion palace for the Royal family that has lost its' relevance to our country.
You say that Malaysia needs to move forward and progress, you take away the rural areas' chances of learning Science & Mathematics in English.
You say that local universities need to step up their game, you lower the graph to pass the exams.
You say the rakyat need to be more energy-efficient, you have eight cars.
You say that students need to depend less on tuition, you provide no incentives at all for local teachers.
You say that you care about the Arts & Humanities, you automatically stream the "smart" students into Science.
You ask the students to work hard to score, you give the principal the overseas holiday.
You say the schools who do well will be given special treatment, you forget the schools who actually need help.
You say that education should be free for all, but you don't provide money for the schools to sustain themselves.
You say that you want to promote unity and peace, but look at yourselves.
You say that you want to promote economical values and appreciation of money, but look at your wives.
You implore the schools to be less exam-oriented, you tighten the rein on government scholarships.
You demand that the private sector give equal opportunity, you have a "non-Malay quota" for almost every single department.

2
You try to categorize us as a Doctor, a Lawyer, an Engineer, or an Accountant. By right all four of these professions are noble, but that's not all there is to this world. There are artists, musicians, chefs, interior designers, hotel managers- about a million jobs out there, that make our lives a better place. So why not let us choose which of those million jobs is the right one for us, instead of expecting us to conform into those four aforementioned boxes? Maybe your son wants to be a computer scientist, maybe your daughter wants to be an architect. So what? Less well-paying jobs, maybe, but at least they'll be fulfilling their dreams. I get what you want. You want the best for your child- or what you assumed was the best, concluded from your own childhood, or from Oprah, or whatever. But sometimes, the textbook, theoretical version of "Best For Them" doesn't fit in with what's actually best for them. Yes, eight out of ten, that little boy who wants to be a rockstar will grow up to work at a 9-to-5 deskjob. But what if your little boy was that two out of ten? What if he could have been a real success, a real hit, but he WASN'T, because you wanted what's Best For Him?

3
You think it's so damn easy to run a government? It's not. Especially in a country like this, where very single thing causes the unanimous finger to be pointed in the government's direction. As you can see from the first part of this post, I obviously know that our government is far, far away from being perfect. But hello- you're not perfect either. You complain that school sucks, teachers suck, homework sucks, Malaysia sucks- but you're not exactly a model Malaysian citizen either. Okay? So grow up, get an education, know the shit what you're talking about and then you can say that "Malaysia sucks".

I love my country. I get frustrated with it, angry with it, disappointed in it- but you know what? I'll never hate it. I'll never move away, I'll never admit that another country is better. Because this is my home. And it's yours too. So take it or leave it. I say all the things above with an underlying, unshakable belief that I WILL grow up to become a useful Malaysian. That as much as I complain now, I AM working my ASS off so that I can grow up, graduate, and make this country a better place for myself and my future generation. What are YOU doing, huh? Ada sekolah tak nak pegi, ada test tak nak belajar, pastu bila fail jadi rempit la, pegi clubbing la. Ada hati nak cakap aku pengkhianat kpd bangsa Melayu? TOLONG LA. Just because I am about 150% more educated than you, just because I'm fairly proficient in English, just because my parents had the vision to push me towards maximizing my potential, I'M the one who's betraying our race? Look who's taking the drugs. Look who's drinking the booze. Look who's wasting their lives. It ain't me bro. It ain't me.

4
To you,
stop judging me because I pray now, I'm trying to wear tudung full-time. Stop judging me because I'm no longer one of your party girls. Stop judging me because I don't know how to wear dresses anymore, or skirts, without feeling uncomfortable.

I'm not judging you. It's your life. I'm not going to turn up on your doorstep asking you to put on a tudung and we'll all happily read the Al-Quran together. Life's not that simple, I get it. But the least I can do is NOT judge you. So I'll request you to have the courtesy to do the same.

5
To you,
stop judging me because I still miss some of my prayers, that I still let out an occasional swear word, that I have a boyfriend. I respect that you have your values, and I'm trying to set my priorities straight too- key word being 'trying'. Some of the things I do, are between God and me. I'll take constructive criticism the best way I can, but downright reproaching me will only distance myself away from the true path so please- leave me alone about it.

And for goodness' sake, don't judge me for the friends I have. Whether people are gay, bisexual, a non-practicing Muslim, Atheist, bald, old, a drop-out, or choose to wear hot pants to the cafeteria, whatever- it's really none of your business. If you are really that into correcting other people, try and "help" them instead of criticizing them, punishing them, humiliating them. You know your stuff, right? You know how Rasulullah SAW (Peace Be Upon Him) berdakwah, right? Sopan-santun, bijaksana dan berhikmah. You remember that right? Might as well practice that, instead of shoving beliefs down people's throats without so much as a warning. That's not the way man. I may be new to this world, this world of making sure I don't forget to pray, or thinking before I talk bad about someone- but I do know that Rasulullah SAW (PbUH) never, EVER condemned a person without good reason. Okay? Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment